What is Bibliomancy? Simply put, it’s the use of books for divination or fortunetelling.
This form of divination is probably the easiest and most easily accessed by anyone in the world. All you need is a book and the ability to sit quietly and concentrate.
What kind of book do you need? Well, just about any book will do. Anything from a Bible to a Dictionary to a book of fiction to your favorite book written by your Pagan author.
You can even use your own Book of Shadows.
How does it work? It’s really very simple.
- Choose a book you’d like to use.
- Sit quietly with the book on your lap, with your left hand touching the front cover and your right hand touching the back cover.
- Think of the question you’d like answered or a situation you’d like to know more about.
- Turn it over in your mind.
- Open your eyes.
- Place the spine of the book flat on the floor.
- Hold the back and front covers of the book loosely between your hands and allow the book to open where it wants to.
- Once the book has opened to a specific 2 pages, you can then choose to either take the whole of the 2 pages into consideration or you can you can narrow it down further to a single sentence by closing your eyes and placing your hands on the pages before you.
- Allow your hands to rest on the pages for a few moments until something in your fingers or hands point you in the right direction, which usually ends up being a sentence or 2.
There are times when the sentence you find doesn’t make sense right away, and that’s ok. Divination doesn’t always give out immediate gratification. Sometimes it needs to be accompanied by meditation, a dream or at the least, some serious thought.